Dr. Mark Hyman calls it “the most important molecule you need to stay healthy and prevent disease”. He goes on to say, “… it’s the secret to prevent aging, cancer, heart disease, dementia and more, and necessary to treat everything from autism to Alzheimer’s disease. There are more than 89,000 medical articles about it — but your doctor doesn’t know how address the epidemic deficiency of this critical life-giving molecule …”
Dr. Sonya Doherty of treatautism.ca calls it “the cheif detoxifier”.
At Practitioner Select, we know it as the most prevalent and potent antioxidant and detoxifier in the body.
We are talking about GLUTATHIONE (pronounced “gloota-thigh-own”).
Why is glutathione so important?
- It binds to toxins, making them more water-soluble and easier to eliminate
- It’s a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes damaging molecules called free radicals
- It’s vital to cellular energy production by protecting mitochondria (powerhouses in each cell)
- It supports production of lymphocytes (white blood cells)
- It’s a natural chelation agent, bonding with heavy metal molecules for elimination
- It regulates protein bonds
- It maintains integrity of the gut lining by neutralizing microbial toxins and stimulating immune function
The good news is, your body creates its own glutathione. The bad news is, significant deficiency in glutathione is common in people with autism due to methylation gene defects. These genetic abnormalities are increasingly being viewed and researched as a major factor in autism. Children who are developing neurotypically are able to remove toxins like heavy metals, pesticides and chemicals more effectively from the body. A developing child, for example, will use up two molecules of glutathione to get rid of one molecule of mercury. Children with autism have less glutathione so it gets depleted more quickly, especially when there is a higher degree of environmental insult.
Glutathione is the major antioxidant present in cells and is responsible for detoxification and elimination of environmental toxins. It’s active form is reduced 80% in kids with autism”.
~ Dr. S. Jill James, PhD
Arkansas Childrens Research Institute
You can see the harmful cycle beginning to develop here. Glutathione is created through methylation. A large percentage of people with autism have a gene defect that impairs the methylation process, thus resulting in a glutathione deficiency and an inability to detoxify. This increased toxic burden further impairs the methylation process and production of glutathione.
So what can you do to optimize glutathione levels in the body?
1. Eat sulfur rich food: The most common sulfur rich foods are scallops, eggs, garlic, onions and the cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, cabbage, cauliflower, watercress, etc.).
2. Exercise: This doesn’t have to be intense aerobic activity or strenuous weight training. Start slow and find an activity that is fun for you and your child. Research has shown that physical exercise results in significant increases in glutathione levels.
3. Give your body glutathione supporting nutrients. Here are the main supplements that need to be taken consistently to boost glutathione. Besides taking a multivitamin and fish oil, supporting glutathione levels every day with these supplements is the most important thing you can do.
- N-acetyl-cysteine – NAC is a powerful free radical scavenger and thus supports the body’s natural defense system. NAC supports tissue levels of glutathione, a key component of the antioxidant defense system. It also has the ability to help chelate heavy metals.
- Methylation Nutrients (folate and vitamins B6 and B12) – Look for blend of bioactive forms of four essential B-vitamins like Methyl Balance. This particular formula also contains trimethylglycine (betaine) to synergistically support methylation processes and help maintain normal homocysteine metabolism.
- Selenium – Selenium is a natural antioxidant that delays the oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids and preserves the elasticity of tissue. It protects normal cell function by supporting the body’s natural defenses and scavenging harmful free radicals.
4. Use a topical glutathione supplement.
Oral glutathione supplements have been ruled to be somewhat ineffective because the protein cannot survive the digestion process. The advantage of glutathione topical cream is that it is delivered immediately into the skin, bypassing any mal-absorption problems of the gastrointestinal tract, which can be a common occurrence when the body is toxic with heavy metals. The glutathione is absorbed through the skin, into the bloodstream effectively increasing the body’s glutathione levels.
Glutathione Plus from Neurobiologix
takes it one step further and includes N-Acetyl-l-Cysteine (NAC); the basic amino acid needed to create glutathione, B-12 in a methylated form called methylcobalamin assisting the body to produce more glutathione and absorb it better; Glucosamine Sulphate providing the sulphur component necessary for the methylation process of detoxing out the metals from the body; and L-Carnosine, a dipeptide (two amino acids, L- Alanine and L- Histidine), known for its ability to chelate metals out of the body.
DON’T MISS OUT ON THE NEXT ARTICLE! SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER FOR MORE GREAT ARTICLES AND EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNTS AND PROMOTIONS!
You should always consult with your healthcare practitioner before taking any nutritional supplements. Statements made herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease.